Monday, January 6, 2014

2014: Waiting In The Wings--Stories, A New Book, The Need For Consistency, Etc.

Thinking about how to approach the blog again, been lean for awhile.  If I say there will be consistency, will there be?  A regular post at least on Mondays, perhaps; more posts when necessary, what with story publications, book stuff, random thoughts.  I'm good when it comes to writing fiction when it comes to consistency, usually finding time to "be with the words," as I like to say, even on the days when I'm less driven or I allow distractions to dictate.  For me, focus is the key.  The last couple weeks have been less than perfect, but with the holiday, I expected that.  So now I am circling and about to swoop down and pounce, take my Words back, and firmly entrench myself in the novel in progress.

And ramble on as I often do. 

So, let's get to what's upcoming in 2014 so far, as there's a lot in the pipeline.

My Heavy Metal Horror story, "Louder, Faster..." will appear in the Axes of Evil anthology put together by Alex Johnson, a fellow writer whose work I need to know better; he seems to have his head in the right place; a strange place, sure, but that's a good thing, hehe...  On the ultimate coolness side of things, Lucy Taylor will also be amongst the stellar TOC of this anthology.  Lucy Taylor!  Her Unnatural Acts and Other Stories was a landmark collection for me, influential and essential so, yeah, stoked about this whole deal.

The story that will squirm into your head, leave its mutant babies, and make you most uncomfortable, "Beautiful," will appear in the Fossil Lake anthology, edited by Christine Morgan.  Sometimes, something so out of left field seeps into my brain...and I run with it.  This story, the tone and voice, are utterly unique, alien in a way, yet a human foundation holds it up; but a human of--No!  Can't give it all away.  The guidelines mentioned wanting aberrant stories...well, this one, this one...[shivers]  Trust me, it will really mess with your head.

I entered a story into the SQ Mag short fiction contest because they publish Quality fiction and thought I'd give it a shot.  Didn't win, but was pleased to be in the top six, which means you'll get to read, "It's Only Going To End Badly," at some point soon.  Some things go bad; some things go sideways; some things, well...you'll see.

I have a reprint in the first Heartcore anthology, another one put together by Alex Johnson.  This was crazy as the page was put together on FB, mention of submissions posted, and about twenty minutes after I submitted my story, "My True Name," there was a notification on FB that I was mentioned in a comment.  The comment was the TOC so far for the anthology...and there I was.  Probably the fastest acceptance I've ever had. 

I should also mention I will have a poem, "The Dead Souls Work Song," published at some point in the middle of the year, though details are still being ironed out. 

Ah, but the Biggest News, not that any of what I've mentioned so far doesn't bring a smile to my face (as well as to my dark heart), but the Excellent, High Quality Dark Fiction publisher, Omnium Gatherum, will be publishing my second book, a kind of mini-collection centered on my 14,000 word novelette, Autumn In The Abyss.  Details still being worked out, even the actual title--though AITA will most probably be a part of the title--but this one, oh yes.  As a writer, I always want to push myself, never settle for the average or formuliac elements in my fiction.  Autumn In The Abyss does just this.  One of the two best pieces of fiction I have ever written, yes, according to moi, and something I hope you all enjoy, because it's quite a ride, indeed.   Poetry, history, the power of Words in ways most lethal.   

Yes, two mentions of Quality. This matters to me. 

But...there's even more percolating underneath.  I am deep into the second draft of a novel that has a strong William S. Burroughs element...as well as the man himself, though not in the form of a man, not exactly, as well as three perspectives, with one being, perhaps, unreliable.  Which means it is really working my brain in ways I have never stretched the imagination.  I don't believe in comfort zones when it comes to my art.  This one is anything but.

Or something, but that's a start.  You ready for all of this?  Deeper details and samples will be featured when the stories and book are released, as well as I will touch the writing of others who inspire, movies, art, music, this and that.  Yeah, shaking it all up and getting back to that one thing that needs to be addressed: consistency.  For me, more happens when I am locked in and writing regularly.  More happens when a lot of things in life are dealt with regularly, y'know?  (My workouts, reading, etc.)  Just part of the deal.  So, I ask again...

Are you ready?

Strap in, let's get to it! 

Here's a picture of the giant bird "purported to come from an antimatter galaxy" from the movie, The Giant Claw.  Why?  Well, I titled this, Waiting in the Wings, had no picture in mind to add to it, so thought, Pterodactyl wings, for whatever reason--that's my mind for ya--and then shifted that to this movie, one from my youth that I stole the idea from when I was a wee lad for a class and...sure, some day ask me about that whole mess.  Anyway, here's the handsome fella...



No comments:

Post a Comment